23 January 2016
Aloha Puako Residents,
We’ve noticed over the last few months a tremendous increase in speeding along Puako Beach Drive. It seems to peak on weekends and during times of good surf. It is an issue of serious concern throughout our neighborhood.
In the last few weeks we have contacted Margaret Wille (our county council representative) and attended the 1/12/16 NKTSC meeting (North Kohala Traffic Safety Committee) where we learned the following:
*Ron Thiel (traffic division chief for Hawaii County) suggested a trial speed hump to test on Puako Beach Drive (permanent installation requires 67% approval from the Community).
*Our new community police liaison is Officer Kelena Hookano, ph.# 887-3080, hours: 6:45am-3:30pm
*Community Traffic Awareness Program member Officer May Lee has informed us that the starting point for police action must begin with our Puako Neighborhood Watch members working with police officers flagging speeders. The next stage is issuing citations by the police, then, if justified, installing the “Stealth Box” (it records # of vehicles & their speed).
* Residents are asked to provide testimony at County Council meeting Feb.2 – you need not be present to provide testimony, you can fax: to (808) 961-8912 or email: Counciltestimony@hawaiicounty.gov or by mail: County Clerk’s Office at 25 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawai’i 96720 expressing your concerns about speeding in Puako.
* Residents submit speeding form when you see speeding violators… See attached. Form a “text group” wherein a member of this group identifies a speeder & immediately sends text to group so all members will call in speeding report to police.
What you can do:
- Let us know if you’d like a test speed hump
- Would you be willing to help on a “flagging day”?
- Attend a Neighborhood Watch meeting with a police representative (date to be announced)
- Provide testimony on 2/2/2016
- Complete the speeding form when witnessing speeders
- Use this forum for any suggestions you might have in dealing with this issue
Jill and Steve Eitel